Home Page | Calendar | Forums | Login |

Feedback on the above article:

( Page 3 of 3. Page 1 Page 2 )

Ewan Wilson (Guest) (29/05/2011 21:55)

REPENT!
Christ's first recorded preaching. What a nasty thing to tell the self righteous to feel grief and hatred for their sin and turn from it. Sin- , you know, transgression of the Law of God, the code of life.
Liberals can pick and choose what they define as 'sin' all they like but Christ's own warning stands starkly- Depart from me, all ye who work iniquity ( lawlessness, in the Greek!)

Love poofs - Hate poofery (Guest) (30/05/2011 22:19)

Spot on Ewan

Ewan Wilson (Guest) (03/06/2011 00:12)

The toll of ministers resigning in Protest at this issue now stands at two, with some retired men following in their wake. It may seem pitifully few but one must remember that there are many, many others likely to follow suit. If things seem to be moving painfully slowly, do recall that Presbyterianism normally advances at a moderate if relentless pace. There will be much consultation, conference and prayer going on just now. Some of us may feel the conservative evangelical/reformed leaders have been badly remiss in having failed to plan in concert on the next move, given they have had a two year 'notice of intent' on this issue. Lack of foresight and planning is decidedly NOT 'spiritual'. Ministers and elders have a duty not just to God and vindication of His Truth but also to their flocks whom they are to guard jealously. Too many of the 'leading' Reformed ministers and congregations seem to have been acting more like congregationalists than responsible presbyterians. It is exceedingly selfish but presumably is the outcome of years of conservative evangelicals in the Kirk tolerating liberalism in all its shades just so long as it is at a comfortable remove from 'our own backyard'.
If they once again just settle down with this apostasy then they will be spued out and the candlestick removed. Just how do these 'evangelicals' imagine they can keep such blatant sin at a distance? They will have to recognise as fellow ministers/elders those in outright sin and may well have to submit to visitations and ministry of such folk if presbytery see fit or might even insist eventually as they did with the women elders issue. We appreciate the need to move in tandem and not in disaray but paralysis or downright denial in the face of crisis is quite a different matter. Where are the voices from the Tron, Sandyford Henderson Memorial, Holyrood Abbey, Gilcomston Aberdeen? What of CofS ministers in the Highland Theological outfit? It seems to be being left to the less trumpeted ministers in the less prominent parishes to take the courageous stand.
May God provide the poor Kirk with at least some decisive and inspirational leadership to excise corruption from her midst.

Peter Carr (03/06/2011 08:38)

I wonder how much of the lack of resignations is actually down to concerns over protecting pensions?!!
Alec (Guest) (03/06/2011 08:50) The other thing of course is that some of these ministers have fairly impressive churches. St Georges Tron, which was one of the leading protagonists in the anti Scott Rennie campaign have only recently spent a fortune on refurbishing their church.

Thats wht Ivor Macdonald at the Assembly asked the question sabout buildings.

Which just goes to show the true motives of these people - its all about power and influence and politics and image

If they were REALLY true to what they believe, they would step out in faith and preach on a snow strewn hillside, or the modern equivalent of the Ferintosh Burn

eg:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/626876

But no, its all about politics isnt it? Its all about numbers. Its all about influence.Being "biblical" has very little to do with it.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits"
Martin Lisemore (03/06/2011 10:32) At the risk of being branded a cynic, I believe Peter is spot on for some ministers.

Whilst I have no experience of the C.O.S, we've seen several crises in the Church of England, and of a similar magnitude where many ministers were expected to depart the institution and yet didn't. Oh, many of them made fine noises in the press and on TV/radio, but when the crunch came - nothing.

I quote Ed's email newsletter of 28th May: ' ... homosexuality IS (part of the) judgement that is already coming upon the national church - but not just the national church.' And again from Ed's newsletter of 24th May:The dynamic here is the reverse of Ezekiel's 'Dry Bones' - Dry bones apart, dry bones together, sinews, flesh, skin, breath of life. Now read that backwards.

Our God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He provides for every work of His. If the C.O.S. os desperately short of money, then may I put it to you, the Lord is withdrawing His support for work. And Ewan, for once I completely agree with you. ' ... they will be spued out and the candlestick removed.'

Ewan, your post could have been written about the crises in the Church of England over the last two decades.

May God have mercy on us.

Martin Lisemore (03/06/2011 10:32)

At the risk of being branded a cynic, I believe Peter is spot on for some ministers.

Whilst I have no experience of the C.O.S, we've seen several crises in the Church of England, and of a similar magnitude where many ministers were expected to depart the institution and yet didn't. Oh, many of them made fine noises in the press and on TV/radio, but when the crunch came - nothing.

I quote from a newsletter: ' ... homosexuality IS (part of the) judgement that is already coming upon the national church - but not just the national church.' And again from Ed's newsletter of 24th May:The dynamic here is the reverse of Ezekiel's 'Dry Bones' - Dry bones apart, dry bones together, sinews, flesh, skin, breath of life. Now read that backwards.

Our God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He provides for every work of His. If the C.O.S. os desperately short of money, then may I put it to you, the Lord is withdrawing His support for work. And Ewan, for once I completely agree with you. ' ... they will be spued out and the candlestick removed.'

Ewan, your post could have been written about the crises in the Church of England over the last two decades.

May God have mercy on us.

Peter Carr (03/06/2011 13:11)

Money talks...that is why The Lord of life warns His disciples in Lk 16;

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” John Miller (18/04/2013 18:35) May I enquire, "What is Mr MacRae's present position?

Louise Hogg (Guest) (29/04/2013 10:22)

I was wondering the same myself recently. I think Roddy Barvas moved to the Free Church of Scotland but I'm not sure if he's working in some non-minister day job just now. If he reads this he might enlighten us. ( Page 3 of 3. Page 1 Page 2 )
Comment:

© 2014 Christians Together High Accessibility Version. (Full Graphics Version)