Home Page | Calendar | Forums | Login |

Feedback on the above article:

( Page 2 of 2. Page 1 )

Peter Carr (18/08/2011 13:06)

Yes but the plus side is that those who cannot afford new stuff from the shops, can get it at a greatly reduced price after it has been passed on as our church charity shop has proven.

We can sell good quality clothing items at a fraction that you can buy them in so called charity shops. For example we can sell a good quality item that has been donated for about 50p, whereas it could cost you 10 times that in a charity shop.

I would urge more churches to offer this service in todays society, and allow the consumer culture work for the Kingdom!!

Lk 16: 8 "The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light."Frank (Guest) (18/08/2011 14:12) And the cor boot sales are "church' for many on a sunday morning.

Jenny (18/08/2011 15:43)

Chris Evans may have a serious point, but I'm not assuming from his way of framing it that he believes in God.... I think he's just being facetious :-(

Peter Carr (18/08/2011 17:58)

"And the cor boot sales are "church' for many on a sunday morning."

And there lies an opportunity for outreach!!Editor (18/08/2011 18:23) "Chris Evans may have a serious point, but I'm not assuming from his way of framing it that he believes in God.... I think he's just being facetious :-("

I am finding two things in the last couple of years -

1. With the collapse and mayhem that we see around the place more and more people are turning to something 'beyond themselves'.

2. That some folk who are 'outside of the Christian church' are - in a strange way speaking 'prophetically' and powerfully; in a manner in which one wishes was coming from the churches. Melanie Phillips the journalist is one.

And to use the old adage, Chris Evans might not believe in God (I've no idea), but God believes in him.

Editor (18/08/2011 18:25)

"And there lies an opportunity for outreach!!"

Amen.

And if anyone wants further information on that I know a minister in Scotland who has first-hand experience (he's done it) on doing evangelism amongst car-boot sales.
I'm sure that he would be delighted to give advice.

In fact maybe I'll ask him to write an article on it.But if anyone feels called to this, don't wait just 'go for it'.

Martin Lisemore (18/08/2011 23:29)

"And the cor boot sales are "church' for many on a sunday morning."

And there lies an opportunity for outreach!!

Yep, right on Tartan, been there done that, mainly with immigrant Arabs in Norwich. Got threatened, and a bit more, but kept on with the word.

We must take every opportunity for outreach; get them in while there's time.

Peter Carr (19/08/2011 08:52)

True Martin, it is interesting that what some see as negative from our culture today can be turned around for positive if we are willing to think outside the box!!

Martin Lisemore (19/08/2011 21:54)

If we dare think outside our box, and angle our minds towards God's box, who knows where we will go? His box is infinite!

Surely the secret, perhaps not a secret but a fact conveniently ignored, is to ignore sub culture power politics and just go for it, and that in the Name of Jesus.

Did not Jesus say, Go into all the world ... well, He didn't mention political correctness, power politics within a denomination or any other earthly restraints. He said, in current parlance, just go for it, go for souls and go for the worst!

Actually, as I'm sure you know, Tartan, they're the words of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, a man for whom I have so much time, an organisation with whom my wife was a member for over thirty years, until power politics etc ., got involved.

Tartan, in my understanding of the Scriptures, both Greek and English (I'm not a Greek scholar, no by no means) there are no qualifications. It says, just do it and I'll there beside you to guarantee and bring about the results. Actually we're talking about the simple, straight forward faith of Smith Wigglesworth, Billy Graham, and so many more.

I just wonder how Smith would have fared today. Rather well I think, given the Word is unchangeable and settled in Heaven.

Peter Carr (20/08/2011 18:32)

Yes Martin, that is the challenge that we all face which is constantly and always looking for God's perspective. Too many of us can be so earthbound in our thinking that we are of no heavenly use!! ( Page 2 of 2. Page 1 )
Comment:

© 2014 Christians Together High Accessibility Version. (Full Graphics Version)