Use your browser's back button to return Print
Debates (Open)
Replies: (page   1   2   3   4   5)
John Parker (Guest) 07/07/2009 11:01
Peter quoted 1 Cor 12 in terms of every part of the body suffering if one part of the body is suffering.

In this context if the Christians of Lewis collectively feel led to fight to protect the Sunday as a day of rest then we should support them in that; or at least desist from criticising them for it (irrespective of how we personally feel). That is the whole thrust of Romans 14 and Col 2:16.
Eddie Hallahan 07/07/2009 12:18
I would like to point out that I am one of those Christians residing in Lewis and there are at least as many of us for Sunday ferries as against, if not more.

The institutional churches up here are generally very fundamentalist and people generally get hammered with long lists of don'ts and dos (generally in that order) many of these don'ts being akin to the same sort of proscriptions the Pharisees placed around life.

To put it simply there are an awful lot of very religious people up here - and some of them are Christians.

Also a lot of the fundamentalism is about traditions of man - like sunday being the Sabbath, only singing Psalms from the Bible, not having any music etc. while the commandments Christ gave us lie languishing in a corner.

So yes this part of the body is indeed suffering - from an overabundance of dogmatic legalism which does nothing but drive away the lost.
John Parker (Guest) 07/07/2009 12:44
Eddie, you said "The institutional churches up here are generally very fundamentalist and people generally get hammered with long lists of don'ts and dos (generally in that order) many of these don'ts being akin to the same sort of proscriptions the Pharisees placed around life."

Is it then the case that the whole 'Sunday' issue is a much more general problem with its roots in legalism? And if so, is that legalism found in other areas of Christian life/teaching in the area?
Eddie Hallahan 07/07/2009 12:54
Hi john,

Yep pretty much. The impression most people have of the church up here is that of God's Gestapo enforcing various lunatic diktats from on high - e.g. no TV on Sunday, no washing to be hung out on Sundays etc., etc., We have the farcical situation where all the pubs are open on a Sunday but the council sports facilities are shut - although only on Lewis - down in Uist the facilities are open on Sunday - same council but the church down that way tends towards the Catholic side of things.
donald calder (Guest) 07/07/2009 17:31
hello eddie i am not legalistic but i have better things to do on a sunday like praising my saviour, i am very keen on sport fishing but would never fish on a sunday because i have plenty other days to do that and i would rather be with my brothers and sisters in christ worshiping our saviour.
donald
Peter Carr 08/07/2009 10:08
John said, "In this context if the Christians of Lewis collectively feel led to fight to protect the Sunday as a day of rest then we should support them in that; or at least desist from criticising them for it (irrespective of how we personally feel). That is the whole thrust of Romans 14 and Col 2:16."

John, My understanding is that true Christianity is about relationship, not religiosity or churchianity. Therefore if a Christian (s) is/are misrepresenting the true ethos of the faith, then I, and others, have a right to bring balance to the discussion, rather than have non-Christians left with a one sided view of what it is all about!
Peter Carr 12/07/2009 08:58
It seems the battle to keep the 'Sabbath' pure continues elsewhere also! BBC reported today of ultra-orthodox Jews battling, including the throwing of stones, against the opening of a car park in Jerusalem on a Saturday. Their arguement being that the opening of the car park on the Sabbath will lead to trading.

Lets hope that others here don't follow their lead!!
Eddie Hallahan 12/07/2009 16:30
Least they've got the right day.
John Parker (Guest) 18/07/2009 12:16
Which day (Saturday, Sunday, every day) is a distraction. The big problem is legalism and the place of the Jewish Law.
George Orr 18/07/2009 14:41
Legalism is the problem, but when it comes to the Sabbath it has to be understood in its' context that the Sabbath was instituted by God, before the law, and it was for all mankind..
(page   1   2   3   4   5)